I am by the start of a new year presenting my bucket list for the coming year or years. The list is the manifestation of my dreams or concrete plans for future trips around the world. This article covers my bucket list for 2015 and later.
Read the review of 2014 posted on this very day, New Year’s day.
Bucket list (future trips)
Preferred destinations, unprioritised sequence. It is very like my 2013 round-up, except that some bullet points have been ticked off.
- USA from New York to San Francisco (or only a weekend trip to New York). Flights between 3-4 places and perhaps a train journey across the plains just to sense the distances (2-4 weeks). The US has always been on the bucket list, but has always been postponed. Perhaps when I retire?
- South Asia (India, Nepal and Bhutan), preferably each country on different trips. Bhutan is the oldest of my dreams and is now opening up to tourism. I should go there before it’s too late, like I’ve done to Tibet, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Cuba. (2-4 weeks)
- The old Norse settlements in the West: Shetland, Orkneys, Faroes, Iceland and Greenland (or only the two latter). (1-2 weeks).
- East Africa south of Sahara, with safari as part of the trip (2-3 weeks).
- West Africa from Senegal to Nigeria. It would have been nice with a road trip through half a dozen countries, but presumably quite difficult. The outbreak of Ebola has made this an even more difficult trip. (3-4 weeks plus).
- Namibia. I really want to see that desert, those sand dunes and the abandoned towns.
- Morocco. All those towns on the coast and in the mountains.
- Vietnam. I have visited most of SE Asia, but not Vietnam yet.
- Pacific island hopping on a RTW-ticket to make the journey cheaper (3-4 weeks).
Not enough? I have more dreams
- Caribbean island hopping, in particular the southern part and the Antilles. Perhaps even on a cruise, which is another of my taboos. Visiting multiple islands is not easy to accomplish apart from with airplanes, and prices are not favourable (2-4 weeks).
- Greece, to Athens and the Pelopponese on a road trip to eight World Heritage Sites. This may be limited to three days, plus a day or more in the capital, hence a long weekend, preferably in spring.
- Israel: Been here before, long time ago, but I spent too little time. Round trip in the country for a week, perhaps inclusive of a beach holiday with the family by the Mediterranean or Red Sea. (1-2 weeks)
- Georgia (country): Their food and wine is good, the Black Sea coast is fine for sun bathing and the interior has some nice cities and villages in the Caucasus.
- Saint Petersburg: Extreme treasures and immense museums, as well as a fascinating history in every respect.