UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee announced 34 new World Heritage Sites in 2021. The List now includes 1155 sites of a cultural, natural or mixed character.
This article provides direct links to the inscriptions. Seek more information about the work of the Committee on the WHC website. Read Sandalsand’s main story about World Heritage Sites and the task of visiting the ever-growing number of new sites. Sandalsand has visited three of the 34 new sites.
The new or amended sites in 2021
Here are the new World Heritage Sites of 2021. All links lead to UNESCO’s article about the site.
The new World Heritage Sites of 2021 include 29 cultural sites all over the world.
- As-Salt – The Place of Tolerance and Urban Hospitality, Jordan
- Rosia Montana Mining Landscape, Romania
- Colonies of Benevolence, Belgium and Netherlands
- Quanzhou: Emporium of the World in Song-Yuan China, China
- Kakatiya Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple, Telangana, India
- Trans-Iranian Railway, Iran
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes (Western Segment), Austria, Germany, Slovakia
- The work of engineer Eladio Dieste: Church of Atlántida, Uruguay
- The Great Spa Towns of Europe, Austria, Belgium, Czechia, France, Germany, Italy, United Kingdom
- Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt, Germany
- Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro, a landscape of Arts and Sciences, Spain
- Hima Cultural Area, Saudi Arabia
- Sítio Roberto Burle Marx, Brazil
- Arslantepe Mound, Turkey
- Padua’s fourteenth-century fresco cycles, Italy
- Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex, Peru
- Cordouan Lighthouse, France
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Lower German Limes, Germany, Netherlands
- Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern Japan, Japan
- The Slate Landscape of Northwest Wales, United Kingdom
- Settlement and Artificial Mummification of the Chinchorro Culture in the Arica and Parinacota Region, Chile
- Nice, Winter Resort Town of the Riviera, France
- ShUM Sites of Speyer, Worms and Mainz, Germany
- The works of Joze Plecnik in Ljubljana – Human Centred Urban Design, Slovenia
- Dholavira: a Harappan City, India
- Cultural Landscape of Hawraman/Uramanat, Iran
- Sudanese style mosques in northern Côte d’Ivoire, Côte d’Ivoire
- The Porticoes of Bologna, Italy
- Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea, Russia
The new World Heritage Sites of 2021 include five cultural sites in Asia and Africa.
- Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex, Thailand
- Amami-Oshima Island, Tokunoshima Island, Northern part of Okinawa Island, and Iriomote Island, Japan
- Getbol, Korean Tidal Flats, Republic of Korea
- Colchic Rainforests and Wetlands, Georgia
- Ivindo National Park, Gabon