I will by the start of a new year be presenting my bucket list for the coming year or years. The list is the manifestation of my dreams or concrete plans for future trips around the world.
Read the review of 2013 posted on this very day, New Year’s day.
2014 bucket list (future trips)
Preferred destinations, not prioritised sequence:
- Central Asian republics (The Silk Road). This is a tricky trip to unwelcoming countries like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. (3-4 weeks). A fascinating continuation or variant would be the Caucasus from eastern Turkey, into Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan on the Caspian Sea (2-3 weeks).
- USA from New York to San Francisco (or only a weekend trip to New York). Flights between 3-4 places and perhaps a train journey across the plains just to sense the distances (2-4 weeks). The US has always been on the bucket list, but has always been postponed. Perhaps when I retire?
- South Asia (India, Nepal and Bhutan), preferably each country on different trips. Bhutan is the oldest of my dreams and is now opening up to tourism. I should go there before it’s too late, like I’ve done to Tibet, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Cuba. (2-4 weeks)
- The old Norse settlements in the West: Shetland, Orkneys, Faroes, Iceland and Greenland (or only the two latter). (1-2 weeks).
- East Africa south of Sahara, with safari as part of the trip (2-3 weeks).
- West Africa from Senegal to Nigeria. It would have been nice with a road trip through half a dozen countries, but presumably quite difficult. A boat trip with G Adventures calls on ports on most of the coast; is incredibly expensive and takes a month. They have a lot of travels in Africa, most of them in the south and east. I dislike group tours. This article states that Ghana is a country for Africa-Beginners (3-4 weeks plus).
Not enough? I have more dreams
- Pacific island hopping on a RTW-ticket for make the journey cheaper (3-4 weeks).
- Caribbean island hopping, in particular the southern part and the Antilles. Perhaps even on a cruise, which is another of my taboos. Visiting multiple islands is not easy to accomplish apart from with airplanes, and prices are not favourable (2-4 weeks).
- Greece, to Athens and the Pelopponese on a road trip to eight World Heritage Sites. This may be limited to three days, plus a day or more in the capital, hence a long weekend, preferably in spring.
- Israel: Been here before, long time ago, but I spent too little time. Roundtrip in the country for a week, perhaps inclusive of beach holiday with the family by the Mediterranean or Red Sea. (1-2 weeks)
- Cyprus: Several world heritage sites, crossings between south and north now possible, fine beaches. Combined family and cultural vacation perhaps like in Andalucia.
Year-end reviews: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
Wishes for the coming year(s): 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.
If you can dream it, you can achieve it. (Zig Ziglar)