I am by the start of a new year presenting my bucket list for the coming year or years. The list is the manifestation of my dreams or concrete plans for future trips around the world. This article covers 2017 and later.
Read the review of 2016 posted on this very day, New Year’s day.
Preferred destinations, prioritised sequence. It is very like last year’s round-up, some bullet points have been ticked off and others have been added.
- Morocco. All those amazing towns on the coast and in the mountains. (1-2 weeks)
- West Africa from Senegal to Nigeria. It would have been nice with a road trip through half a dozen countries, but quite difficult. (3-4 weeks plus).
- East Africa south of Sahara, with safari as part of the trip (2-3 weeks).
- Namibia. I really want to see the sand dunes and the abandoned towns. Neighbouring Botswana and Zambia (and Victoria Falls) are also tempting destinations to avoid touristy safari places in South Africa and East Africa. (2-3 weeks)
- Caribbean island hopping, in particular the southern part and the Antilles. Perhaps even on a cruise, one of my taboos. Visiting multiple islands is not easy to accomplish apart from with airplanes, and prices are not favourable (2-4 weeks).
- USA from New York to San Francisco. Flights between several places and perhaps a train journey across the plains just to sense the distances (2-4 weeks).
- India is a long-time favourite (2-4 weeks). Sri Lanka in the south is a rapidly rising star, recommended by many.
- Iran is opening up to foreign visitors, but is still very much off the beaten track for a number of causes. Iran is one of the oldest civilisations on Earth, holding on to their history with pride. (1-2 weeks)
- Israel: Been here before, long time ago, but I spent too little time. Round trip in the country for a week, perhaps also a beach holiday with the family by the Mediterranean or Red Sea. (1-2 weeks)
- North Korea is a closed country and presently one of the most exciting countries to visit. (1 week)
- Vietnam. I have visited most of SE Asia, but not Vietnam yet. There is a lot to discover both in terms of nature and culturally significant places. (1-2 weeks)
- Georgia (country): Their food and wine is good, the Black Sea coast is fine for sun bathing and the interior has some nice cities and villages in the Caucasus. (1-2 weeks)
- Greece, to Athens and the Pelopponese on a road trip to eight World Heritage Sites. (1 week)
- Saint Petersburg: Extreme treasures and immense museums, as well as a fascinating history in every respect. Other European cities are also beckoning for weekend trips, particularly Berlin, Gdansk, Belgrade, and Ljubljana.
- North Norway: I have only begun to savour this exciting part of Norway.
- Old Norse settlements in the West: Shetland, Orkneys and Greenland. (1-2 weeks)
- Pacific island hopping on a RTW-ticket to make the journey cheaper (3-4 weeks).