This is my bucket list for 2019. I am by the start of a new year presenting my bucket list for the coming year or years. The list is the manifestation of my dreams or concrete plans for future trips around the world. This article covers the bucket list for 2019 and later.
Read the review of 2018 posted on this very day, New Year’s day.
I have on Sandalsand Global the last few years presented my bucket list of places I want to travel. Here is the update for 2019 (and beyond):
- Morocco. All those amazing towns on the coast and in the mountains. (1-2 weeks)
- West Africa from Senegal to Nigeria. It would have been nice with a road trip through half a dozen countries, but quite difficult. (3-4 weeks plus).
- East Africa south of Sahara, with safari as part of the trip (2-3 weeks).
- Caribbean island hopping, in particular the southern part and the Antilles. Perhaps even on a cruise, one of my taboos. Visiting multiple islands is not easy to accomplish apart from with airplanes, and prices are not favourable (2-4 weeks).
- USA from New York to San Francisco. Flights between several places and perhaps a train journey across the plains just to sense the distances (2-4 weeks).
- India is a long-time favourite (2-4 weeks) and I have just began to savour it. Sri Lanka in the south is a rapidly rising star, recommended by many.
- Iran is opening up to foreign visitors, but is still very much off the beaten track for a number of causes. Iran is one of the oldest civilisations on Earth, holding on to their history with pride. (1-2 weeks)
- Israel: Been here before, long time ago, but I spent too little time. Round trip in the country for a week, perhaps also a beach holiday with the family by the Mediterranean or Red Sea. (1-2 weeks)
- North Korea is a closed country and presently one of the most exciting countries to visit. However, now is not a good time to travel there. (1 week)
- Vietnam. I have visited most of SE Asia, but not Vietnam yet. There is a lot to discover both in terms of nature and culturally significant places. (1-2 weeks)
- Georgia (country): Their food and wine is good, the Black Sea coast is fine for sun bathing and the interior has some nice cities and villages in the Caucasus. (1-2 weeks)
- Greece, to Athens and the Pelopponese on a road trip to eight World Heritage Sites. (1 week)
- Saint Petersburg: Extreme treasures and immense museums, as well as a fascinating history in every respect. Other European cities are also beckoning for weekend trips, particularly Berlin, Belgrade, Ljubljana.
- North Norway: I have a lot more to see in this exciting part of Norway.
- Old Norse settlements in the West: Shetland, Orkneys and Greenland. (1-2 weeks)
- Pacific island hopping on a RTW-ticket to make the journey cheaper (3-4 weeks).
At the time of publishing (New Year’s Day) this article I had decided one destination, Dublin this spring. Later on I also went to Vienna, Bratislava and Copenhagen. The longest journey this year went to North Korea, including visits to Beijing (China) and Seoul (South Korea). More of that in the year-end review for 2019.